History and tradition are important to Swanston Equipment Companies.
The accomplishments and milestones are nice to reflect on and keep the company grounded. But more important are the experiences, the successes through the years that have shaped the company's desire and ability to evolve and adapt to the needs of its customers.
William Milton Swanston Sr. founded what would become the Swanston Equipment Companies in 1930 when he opened a vehicle repair and painting shop in downtown Fargo. Seventeen years later, the business became the area's Nash automobile dealer. Also in 1947, the company began its involvement in the construction industry, when Swanston was appointed the distributor of Galion motor graders for North Dakota and western Minnesota.
The business took on the Swanston Equipment Companies name in 1955 to better reflect its emphasis on providing heavy equipment to the construction industry.
The Swanston Equipment Companies of today began its real growth and development in the late 1950s under the leadership of William "Bill" Swanston Jr., who stepped in to manage the company in 1958 when his father was killed in an automobile accident. The younger Swanston, who still serves as CEO of the company, acquired new product lines that helped define its future.
Those new lines and products included Blaw-Knox paving equipment, Boeing asphalt plants, Etnyre oil distributors, Rex concrete plants and Gomaco slipform paving products.
Swanston also acquired a small local company called Melroe Bobcat, which set the stage for greater offerings and opportunities with Bobcat down the road. [Read More]